Regulatory guidance on spectrum for major events
- Plan of Allocation of Frequency Bands - Frequency Allocation Table in Brazil
- Temporary Use of Radio Frequencies (licensing)
- Guidelines regarding the request for the Temporary Use of the Spectrum by foreign diplomatic missions or international bodies
- What might happen if an individual (or entity) operates its RF system without the proper authorization for the use of radio frequency?
Plan of Allocation of Frequency Bands – PDFF (National Frequency Allocation Table)
The radio frequency spectrum is a scarce public resource. Anatel is responsible for its administration and for maintaining the national frequency allocation table, also known in Brazil as the Plan of Allocation of Frequency Bands.
Access the National Frequency Allocation Table in Brazil (available only in Portuguese).
The entity or professional interested in using radio frequencies in a temporary basis should know:
- The use of radio frequency, on a permanent or temporary basis, requires prior authorization from Anatel.
- The authorization for temporary use of radio frequency is of exclusive competence of Anatel. Rules and conditions are established by Anatel Resolution nr. 635/2014.
- The authorization is chargeable to the user, unless otherwise stated. Check some reference prices.
- Specific guidelines regarding temporary use of spectrum for the Olympic and Paralympic Rio 2016 Games are posted on the menu Rio 2016 Games.
- The authorization is made for the use of frequencies on a secondary basis, meaning that the applicant has no right to protection from interference made by other systems authorized on a primary or secondary basis.
- The request for authorization of temporary use of radiofrequency must be sent to Anatel by an entity holding an Individual Taxpayers' Registry (CPF) or a Corporate Taxpayers' Registry (CNPJ), in addition to other information requested for enrollment in Anatel's system (MOSAICO).
- List of satellites with Land Rights authorized in Brazil.
- The equipments used in authorized applications for temporary use do not require certification (homologation/type approval). However,Test and Tagging procedures on RF equipments, for the specific usage in certain events, may be necessary.
- If you want to apply for temporary use of RF, check the registration form on the temporary use of radio frequency system and the operation manual (available only in Portuguese).
- The diplomatic missions and the international bodies, which are interested about getting authorization of Temporary Use of the Spectrum for the visits to Brazil of foreign authorities, or foreign military ships and airplanes, must directly submit the request to the Ministry of External Relations (MRE) in Brasilia. Later on, the requests will be sent by the MRE to the Anatel. Please find the contacts below.
Guidelines regarding the request for the Temporary Use of the Spectrum by foreign diplomatic missions or international bodies
The diplomatic missions and the international bodies, which are interested about getting authorization of Temporary Use of the Spectrum for the visits to Brazil of foreign authorities, or foreign military ships and airplanes, must directly submit the request to the Ministry of External Relations (MRE) in Brasilia. Later on, the requests will be sent by the MRE to the Anatel.
The diplomatic representations which would like to submit that request will have to take care of providing the minimum information to be stated on the request, according to the Regulations for the Temporary Use of the Spectrum:
- identification of the foreign diplomatic mission or the international body;
- information so as the MRE may get in touch;
- technical information about the intended use of radio-frequencies;
- forecasted starting and ending dates for the temporary use of radio-frequencies; and
- locations for the operations of the stations.
In order to get more information, the contact of the MRE (exclusively to render services to embassies and international bodies) is:
Esplanada dos Ministérios, Bloco H, Palácio Itamaraty, Térreo, Sala 6
Tel: +55 (61) 2030-8040/6060
Fax: +55 (61) 2030-8038
What might happen if an individual (or entity) operates its RF system without the proper authorization for the use of radio frequency?
Anatel, through the authorization process, coordinates the use of telecommunication equipments operating with radio frequency in order to avoid degradation or malfunction of telecommunications networks installed in a particular geographic region.
The equipments identified as operating in disagreement (variation) with its authorization act (license), or without it, are subject to interruption. Additionally, as established in Article 183 and the sole paragraph of Article 184 of the General Telecommunications Law (LGT), the use of radio frequency without authorization is considered a criminal offense and the illegal activity will be duly reported to the authorities responsible for investigating crimes.
Thus, given the serious consequences resulting from the use of radio frequencies without prior authorization from Anatel, it is required to apply for this authorization.